1) I went to yoga today! I haven't been in weeks, since all the receptions and recitals and dinners descended on my social calendar.
2) My landlord paid me today :) and has more projects in the pipeline.
3) It is sunny in London. Sunny and cold, but it is nice to see the daylight increasing daily.
4) I have been nurturing some crocus bulbs since December. They reached 4 cm last month, so I have put them on the table by the window and the green shoots have been out for a week now.
5) With that inspiration I have taken out my bonsai kit but might wait till landlord puts my window boxes back in so that I can steal some potting soil.
6) It is becoming more frequent that people - acquaintances and strangers - have been telling me that a) I have a pretty, expressive, singsong voice; b) I have a pleasant accent and I sound polite; c) they could listen to me all day.
What should I do to take advantage of it?
[I have never liked my voice, as I find it too small and childish. My accent used to be quite posh when I was growing up; when I moved to the US, I softened it out of sheer embarrassment but could not lose it. Since my return to London, it has found a new balance.]
7) Have been reading On Friendship by Michel de Montaigne, the great 17th century essayist, but was tempted to give up when I found myself wondering out loud this morning, "What on earth is he going on about now?"
It's the middle of the book and he seems to have lost the plot.
I forgot to mention the office manager at the finance recruitment company where I've been temping.
I don't think she likes me. I'm efficient so she wants me back, but nary a breath of thanks escapes her lips, nor a trace of a smile, and not one more word than is necessary. Oh, I did catch her out in the lift when I pointed out it was snowing, so she exclaimed and looked through the glass wall onto the courtyard and exclaimed again. So...she IS human. Slightly.
Four of the five people who have acknowledged my presence have stopped at my desk to ask if I was alright, and to find out what I studied, what I am looking for, and what else I do with myself, as well as to thank me for my help.
Another Mutts for you to smile at: