Friday, February 25, 2005

Olivia's London Dispatches

Hello to everyone taking the time to view my Blog. I can't believe I am doing this!
Anyway, I hope the info is interesting and that you can see some great pictures.

This always happens to me: I get an internet inspiration and then quickly deflate. A few years ago, I made two attempts to start webpages - I think Xoom and then Geocities - until I realised I hadn't that much to share without it sounding trivial or boring. At age 21, what was I going to talk about? Mind you, if someone were to intercept most emails between friends, they'd get a good laugh out of the triviality of it all. Before I start getting metaphysical I will change the subject.
Hey! This is blogging! I am getting it now.
To my friends: this does not mean that I will stop emailing you!

Call me a child of the 70s attempting to re-enter the erstwhile nerdy world of the Internet. I used to think blogging was something reserved for guys, but in this day and age, that's a rather old-fashioned way of thinking (no surprise if you know me!). I'm a borderline nerdy girl anyway. My friends know me either as a walking dictionary, encyclopaedia, or some other sort of repository of information. Think Smithsonian, National Geographic, Discovery, NASA, and so on, and you've got it. Back then, my pleasures on the side were Town & Country, Victorian novels, The Art Book, BRAVO...Now it's all swapped around and in quiet moments after Antiques Roadshow, I dig around a bit for my anatomy textbook. Just kidding.
Nevertheless, none of the high brows I've rubbed elbows with at Christie's would ever believe I have dissected a cat, grown E. coli, or mastered sterile technique. That is a world away from the one I currently inhabit, but one I will treasure forever. I have known for ages that I straddle two worlds. I'm a transitional generation, comfortable on one side or the other, but definitely striving for one side over the other, if you know what I mean.
So perhaps this silly little blog will follow the fortunes of a young lady finding herself in London...
Let the Blogs begin!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe you did it!!!! This will be exciting! Love the pictures.
vanessa

Anonymous said...

ggrrjr

Anonymous said...

woah, the color of the font...I couldn't really read it