Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Another New Start

Next month, we close on a new house, and in the same evening we settle on the condo as well. But this means we'll have about 3-4 days to move, and give the new owners rent back for those days. (I wonder what that'll come up to?)

No more living in a concrete box! We will be homeowners, with a big house and lots of trees. Lots of lovely rooms, awesome features, lots of built-ins, charming spaces, and quality finishes. A little dated, but not as bad as some I've seen, and it doesn't bother us much. So we can change things slowly because it's all in great shape and very livable.

I look forward to putting some color on the pale walls. Wedgwood blues, warm yellows. Maybe some red and Japonisme/Chinoiserie in the dining room. Furnishings in the style of Mission/Prairie, Art Deco, Frank Lloyd Wright, Arts & Crafts...

Even though we usually prefer colonials of the 30s/40s with obviously attractive front elevations, falling in love with this 1958 rambler/ranch style house took me by surprise. The lush setting simply steals the show.

After discovering all it had to offer, I never dreamed we could own a place like this. It's got everything we wanted but never thought we could have, not in this area. There's so much to work with and it is impeccably maintained.

Front View with driveway. Front door/porch to the left. Kitchen door/patio to the right. Garage on far right.
We do have neighbors on either side, but once on the property it's hard to tell.

Kitchen Door and Porch. Garage on the right, with Cupola.

Front yard

Patio leads from Walk-Out Basement Apartment into 1/2 acre of woods

Towards the Driveway and Wood Pile from the Deck

Screened Porch

Screened Porch & Family Room Window

Screened Porch

Down the Garden Path


11 comments:

Glo said...

Hi Liv ~ What a wonderful surprise to see your enchanting new home! Congratulations to you both :) I hope you take us with you when you show the interior decor and any changes you might make. It looks like an amazing piece of property and I can definitely see why you fell in love with it. I for one would be spending many hours relaxing in that screened porch :)

The Moody Minstrel said...

Now THAT is a HOUSE!!! In more ways than one, you've come a long way, m'lady. This is all the stuff of dreams...and I'm eager to hear what sorts of new dreams come to be after you and Jeff move in!

BeBe said...

Oh Liv... The Screened Porch is wonderful!! That's where I'd live if I had a house like that! :o) And Woods too! Such a beautiful home.
Belinda

Anonymous said...

My my my! What a house full of charm. No wonder you fell in love with it! So nice to visit with you again my friend. I hope we don't let too long go by before we do it again. And, yes, if you're ever passing through, we will have to get together (and you're always welcome to stay over).

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

This home really does look like dreams fulfilled.

When I look at it, I remember the struggles you hinted at in past blog posts, and look how far you've come.

I hope your home is filled with laughter and happiness always, Olivia.



Olivia said...

Glooooo! So good to see you again! You popped in like I was never away ;-)

Lots of greenery now, but next spring I will try to share the blooms with you. It would be fun to do before and after pictures with the interior, but our changes will be very slow....

NOt only is the screened porch perfect for spring days, summer evenings, and fall afternoons, but it can serve as a great ante room for winter, as I think it's the only way out to the back from the main floor, apart from the garage. Perfect for when we have a dog with wet and muddy feet!

Olivia said...

Moody, you'd know of course, becauseyou were here from nearly the beginning!

I will keep you posted, on FB for sure, but I'll try to pick up on here again (I say, for the nth time).

Olivia said...

Belinda, Texas Belinda? Hi!
Thanks for coming by!

Yeah, the sellers have a TV in there on a wicker media stand. We will have no such electronic device in a room that was built for the enjoyment of nature!

Olivia said...

Nikki - Indeed it is full of charm, and I can't wait to experience it, but your house of charm preceded mine. I just subscribed to your blog, so no missing out on posts anymore! ;-)

Olivia said...

Gyal - dreams such as I never dreamed! Thank you for coming by to say hi :-)

It will be full of happiness and laughter. Also, yummy food and ... what home of Ruth's daughter is complete without Guyanese food? I will be able to make dhal and chunkay it on the kitchen porch now! And I will have lots of counter space for experimenting with roti! MMMMMMMMMM!

Anonymous said...

Hello Liv I'm more than ever so slightly envious as that is the sort of house that I could happily live in. It looks like you'll be seeing all sorts of birds and wildlife as well which is an added bonus.
I hope that the move goes well, said with fingers crossed behind back so Liv doesn't see them, and look forward to seeing posts next year all about you gardening! Flighty xx