OK, a few of you have asked, and maybe some are wondering but not asking, when I am going back to the US since I've been going on about it for months.
It's still happening, not a pipe dream, but I've got 5 year old roots here and it's not that easy. I have to make a slow transition although I'd have liked to be out already. But yes, I dread nearly every day here...so it won't be hard.
First let me explain why we left the new 2 bedroom flat in Harrow. We hated it and the area, but even when I moved in I knew we'd be looking elsewhere. So we broke at 6 months in November with a move-out date of 7 January, but by Christmas Day we had nothing and offices had been closed for days by then. Getting desperate I decided to look at houseshares as a place to camp out until we found our own flat. But let me tell you, I didn't want to find a two bed flat for obvious reasons...kept sending my mother one bedroom listings and she kept asking to see the 2-beds. Anyway, we found this place on 27 December and we came to see it, with me running a fever and everything, cos remember I got that fluey thing on Christmas Eve. On the 28th we signed contracts, and that weekend the landlord's son came to take some of our suitcases. The weekend after that we came over with the moving van, by which time my mother had caught the same thing as I had!
The flat is still not rented out yet and I'm holding my breath waiting for the agency to ask me to pay January rent on that too (eep!) It's a desirable corner property with half a good view so I can't imagine what people are fussing about.
Anyway, think about it. We've decided not to find our own place, as we now have all inclusive rent - my name was on all the bills, taxes and contracts for everything and I felt tied down. Now I'm more free than I was before. I also wanted to see my mother set up here before I abandoned her (that's how she saw it at first). So she is training for a new home help officer job.
I was going to buy a one-way ticket for my friend's wedding in June but it's only June 1 and we've just moved here and it's bloody tiring. I want to rest a bit first! I will pack suitcases, as it's thankfully not one of those moves where you ship stuff over.
Also, the company I am still working at know I wanted to be out of here by June, but I'm now on maternity cover and also now the only secretary until things get heavy again - the last long termer has now left and fellow blogger and short termer went home yesterday. The company will know what their secretary on maternity leave will decide by August. So I wisely decided to stay until then. It will be nice to earn and save *my own money* before the upheaval.
And so my goal date is September. That also makes sense for wrapping up taxes, packing, notifying companies, and gives me time to sell a lot of my things, etc.
The floor is now open for discussion...