Thursday, October 16, 2008

Finely Tuned

Oh, somebody get me out of here. I hate when this happens - it's like when a relationship ends. I have a slump, staying in for days at a time, essentially housebound. I have not left the house since....hm, let me think....probably Friday when I went out with the girls. Oh, no, I did take a walk by the water on Monday evening. Sure, I have a grocery list, but there's stuff in the freezer. I even have to make returns at some stores in the city, but there's time left on the receipts...

At least it's not so bad "slumping" in a city I like. Still, I am officially bored and disgusted with myself. I feel like I need to tell myself off, like a wayward child, or get someone in here to drag me out. I was going to go out today, but maybe I will do it tomorrow. Needless to say, my phone takes a vacation sometimes too. However, on Sunday I put on Handel's Messiah and loosened up my vocal chords for a few hours. It was the first time in about....oh, two years? Felt so good.

Of course, when these stay at home periods end, my first forays out into the real world hit my senses like a wave.

So, to the point. It's going to rain tonight. Today was somewhat overcast, fairly mild, and a breeze started up in the afternoon. As darkness fell the breeze picked up. It's not cold (18C (66F)), but it is refreshing. I stood on the steps with my sleeves rolled up, taking in lungsful of air, and I had one of my life moments...

Leaves rustling on the trees and clattering along the sidewalk.

Cozy yellow lamps and pumpkins on people's porches, and the streetlights casting pinkish hues over houses and cars.

Pale patches of cloud scudding across an indigo sky.

A church bell ringing a few blocks away, carried to my ears on the wind.

After a few minutes the spell was broken, but I had enjoyed the feeling.
Then I thought I would come back and share that moment with you.



A poignant image of St Christopher, bearer of Christ, at St Patrick's Cathedral

10 comments:

Selby said...

You'll be doing fine *hugs*

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a lovely evening! I hope you get out of your slump and get out more soon - surely shopping can lift you?

The Moody Minstrel said...

Don't worry about it too much, m'lady. There are plenty of people in the world who live virtually their entire lives at home (if not in their mothers' basements). They may not have real lives per se, but they do often have interesting blogs.

;-)

It's just the age;
It's just a stage.
We disengage, we turn the page!

(Oh, and feel free to wax poetic anytime!)

Anonymous said...

Mmmm! I can almost taste that damp autumn air as you described your lungsful. Can it be that you're developing a nesting instinct? Or perhaps your body is just trying to recuperate from a few weeks of insanity?

Anonymous said...

A nice, if somewhat wistful, entry. We all feel like that at times, and I think that what Nikki says may well be right!
Take care, and have a good weekend! xx

meimei said...

hugs. everything will be aright. :)

Anonymous said...

Liv, hugs to you. Handel's Messiah is good medicine. Good music with a high theme is good for the soul. Perhaps the Messiah is the greatest music ever written... Thank you for the description of the evening walk. I could imagine it as you recounted it. Lovely.

Um Naief said...

i go thru periods like this as well. it wont be long and you'll feel ready to venture out again.

the cool wind sounds lovely. i love that type of fresh air. tonight we went to the park and there was a cool breeze.. nothing like what you're experiencing, but i so enjoyed it as well. even walked 5 laps tonight around the place while hashim played w/ naief. it felt fabulous! my body loved it.

smiles to you, my dear.

Miss Dallas said...

I wish I could stay home. Alas, I'll probably have to pop out a baby to get to stay home!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing the moment. I appreciated it. I hope you have, many more spells like that. :)