Saturday, September 15, 2007

Two tag or not two tag

Jahooni, who has an enviably short middle name, tagged me to do this, and I hope she doesn't regret it by the end.

1.You have to post these rules before you give the facts.

2.You must list one fact that is somehow relevant to your life for each letter of your middle name. If you don’t have a middle name, use the middle name you would have liked to have had.

3.At the end of your blog post, you need to choose one person for each letter of your middle name to tag. Don’t forget to leave them a comment telling them they’re tagged, and to read your blog.

Middle Name : melissa

(m) Melissa means "bee" in Greek and "honey" in Latin

(e)veryone makes a big deal of my Greek heritage even though I'm only quarter

(l)ittle children are drawn to me even though I am a bit shy with them

(l)oyalty is my motto

(i)ndependence I like, but not to the extent of loneliness

(s)ome people think I am too serious

(s)inging is my favourite artistic pursuit

(a) bunny rabbit hug would be most welcome right now

Man, that was hard!

***

I started this post a couple of days ago, but didn't get round to the body of it until tonight. I was so run down from the week-long physical imbalance - not eating or drinking enough, few breaks, and a constant headache - that I was as frozen as a block of ice last night. I curled up on the couch to watch TV, wrapped in a fluffy blanket. I don't even do that when I have the flu. And then I slept for 10 hours straight.

I dread Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday at work. I wish I had lied about my departure date, which I initially thought was Tuesday until I looked at my itinerary. Tell you what, I need to learn to lie better. I've always known I was too honest for my own good.

Do you know, on Friday around mid-morning, I said to him I'd like to take my half-hour break earlier rather than later so that I could run to the chemist and pick up some tablets for my headache which was getting worse as the day wore on. He fended that off by saying we had a lot to get through first, so I hung on and snacked slowly on a bag of cheese puffs, since I cannot do anything but pay attention to what I am doing, as he won't stop talking if I pause to take a drink or sneeze. Around 2.15 I got the all-clear, buzzed off to buy fast-acting painkillers, and pick up some sushi. Thank God, a couple of people turned up not long after, and, not knowing how long they would stay, I swallowed the 6 pieces of sushi and seaweed salad in about 5 minutes. The headache, however, refused to go and persisted at about 40% for the rest of the day.

I'm not against working hard, but I am a human being. But nothing exists outside that office, it seems.

***

Planethalder has also tagged me...

WHAT'S IN YOUR FRIDGE?



It's a bit empty at the moment, full of bits n pieces and leftovers. Skimmed for her and semi skimmed for me. Lots of fruit juices and drinking yogurts and sport bottles, and some of her daily ginger concoction. Jam, salad dressings, olive oil spread, mayo. Eggs for cooking, eggs for eating. Some lamb chops marinading for tomorrow, houmous, crispy fried karila (an exotic vegetable). Chocolate chocolate chip muffins for my breakfast next week. A jar of that Peruvian chili sauce. Home-sliced emmentaler cheese. A jar of Loyd Grossman spaghetti sauce. Lemons, cilantro/coriander leaf, onions, garlic, ginger root, chilis.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I'm brave enough to show my refrigerator... Which eggs are for eating and which are for cooking? There's a difference?

Anonymous said...

Karila is usually a very bitter vegetable - only a few slices of which you put in a mixed vegetable curry which I find yum but many others find quite hard to eat. Are the crispy fried ones bitter?

Selba said...

Melissa is a sweet name :)

Oh my... your headache is so bad. Try to drink isotonic water (I read that somewhere... who knows it might help).

I love looking the inside of other ppl's fridge, hehehe....

Anonymous said...

Your blog is hard work - you need to relax a bit - no wonder you get headaches! I daren't tell you what's in my fridge! Best wishes, Cafe

Olivia said...

Nikki - I was surprised to open this and find how little of note was inside.

Eggs for baking are not special, maybe from barn, free range, or organic hens.

Eggs for eating are more special, probably omega-3, free-range, organic, corn fed chickens!

***

Planethalder - Not so bitter, sliced finely and fried with onion and garlic and small prawn...it has to go with dhal and rice.

***

Selby - thanks :)

Good idea, as I haven't been able to drink much since being in this job, coz I can't take breaks, and my attention is full-on.

Will you show your fridge?

***

Cafe - hey, good to see you on this side, thanks for coming over. My blog has been neglected of late, for your information!

ML said...

Now I'm hungry after looking at that picture of your fridge!

Sorry about the headache :( I'm glad you got some well deserved rest.

Jahooni said...

Well Well Well... I feel special since you did my tag being sick and all...Melissa is very pretty... glad I had JOY!

can i come for dinner? Looks like you have PLENTY in your frig!

Olivia said...

ML - hehe, that made me laugh, coz I didn't think there was anything in there :P

***

Jahooni - eh, it's ok, I really worked on it this weekend when I was resting ;)

We had moussaka for dinner tonight, btw! With garlic bread, nyum.

The Moody Minstrel said...

My, what a clean-looking refrigerator! No ancient, crusty bottles intertwined and dangling off the edges of the shelves in defiance of the Law of Gravity. No green, slimy life forms evolving in the back corners in defiance of the Law of Life. No undead caterpillars infesting the lower reaches of the veggie box in defiance of the Law of Death. No crazy, mismatched concoctions accidentally formed of the spillage of discordantly opposed syrups, creams, oils, butters, broths, or chutneys in defiance of the Law of Taste.

(cue Frank Zappa)
In the DANGEROUS KITCHEN...

Lotus Reads said...

Olivia, the inside of your fridge is so neat, I couldn't show you the inside of mine even if I was paid to,it's so messy!

And, coming to your meme, do people honestly think you're too serious? You don't come across that way at all on your blog!

Anonymous said...

Olivia, what a great karila recipe. I think you must have been Bengali in a former life ;-) What spices do you use with this dish?