Wednesday, March 29, 2006

It's a small small world

My mother sent my birthday card this week, over 10 days early. She's so lovely, in it she drew a little flying heart, with speed lines trailing after it and wrote, "Fly to your heart." I know it was a moment of inspiration because she knows what I am going through.

I mentioned the earliness of the card when next we spoke and she said, "Oh, so that's where it got to - I was looking for it today!"

Yes, it reached its destination...but by mistake!

**********

I went to the interview today. The recruiter was American. She told me she'd lived in America and Canada.
Where in Canada? Toronto. I have relatives near there!
Where in the US? Texas. I used to live there!
I said, "Small world!"

But it was set to get smaller:
Where in Texas? "A small community called Kingwood..."
I exclaimed, "Oh my god, I lived in The Woodlands!"

(Kingwood and T.W. are both beautiful planned communities set in the pine forests north of Houston.)

**********

I know it's an interesting social experiment for reality TV, but you don't go swapping a property heiress with a toilet cleaner.

I knew what the heiress felt like, wanting to spit while cleaning the men's urinals and the stench of it making her eyes water...but I didn't feel sorry for her.

I actually felt sorry for the toilet cleaner who was forced to live a luxurious, moneyspending lifestyle. She didn't like it. Just for a manicure, facial, and pedicure, she spent 130 pounds. Cleaning toilets makes her 50 pounds per week.

She is discontent and wants to be a social worker one day. Benefit: she might finally find the confidence to walk into college and the motivation to pursue her dream.

**********

I've been meaning to post this picture for a long time. Jason, Vanessa, Johnny. Part of the Fabulous Four is missing: Olivia. Look, that person even got out the chair to leave an honorary place for me!


6 comments:

sanity index said...

Is that like a Wife Swap type show? I saw something similar once...the rich wife obviously had lots of plastic surgery and spends her entire day working out and looking pretty. The poorer wife was dismayed at all the money that could've been used to help out the community.

So your connection with the recruiter - is she going to give you a job? And when's the actual b-day? :)

-merserene

Olivia said...

Hm, funny, I replied to this comment yesterday...

It is like a wife swap, but these girls are in their late teens/early twenties. This is the first time I've watched the series.

The recruiter is looking for leads in the creative fields such as media and publishing.

Actual B-day is 10 April.

Leilouta said...

Your mother's birthday card story is too cute and touching. It reminds me of my mom. She used to leave love notes sometimes before leaving for work in the bathroom or on the kitchen table. I miss that. Nothing is like a mother's heart.

Olivia said...

Leila - Exactly! I come from a family of love-note-leavers.

Every morning Mum and I would run downstairs to read Dad's love notes.

I think I will blog about this...

Olivia said...

Steli - haha, your calculator tells you some interesting things, it does.
Oh yes, I had forgotten that about the empty chair - so now I am even more impressed.

sanity index said...

Yes, happy early b-day. :)