Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Sad news

My dear readers, I have some sad news. I have booked a last minute flight to Dallas because my Granny is dying. She was rushed to the ICU this morning. Her systems are shutting down and the only thing keeping her alive are the machines. And so, we all have to be there and arrange her funeral before the end of next week.

She has had her ups and downs over the past couple of years, but was doing quite well this year. That's the way it is. We have known for a few years that this could happen at any time, but no matter how long you expect it, the actual event is always a surprise, so needless to say, today was all panic stations.

She has been a true matriarch. Mother of 10 children, 24 grandchildren and countless great-grands, and always the toast of every family gathering, full of spriteliness and never short of words.

Even outside her family, she was an influential lady and earned the love and respect of hundreds of people over the years. From being Lady Jo in Guyana, an upstanding member of the community, to everyone's granny in Texas and Sunday school teacher to kids who are now parents themselves - there will be a lot of love in the room when we say goodbye.

When I was born early in 1977, my grandfather, who was himself in ill health, sent her to London "to see the tiny baby". She spent 3 months here helping my mum, and she always had a special soft spot in her heart for me...I know what her greatest prayer has always been; she waited for so long, and it hurts that she won't be around to see it happen one day.

And so, within a month of the arrival of the youngest member of the family, the eldest has departed.

**********

Don't worry too much about me. I am sure I will be fine when I come back. Don't forget the art history assignment from the last post because I look forward to working on that later.

See you soon!

Olivia
xxx

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

dearest Olivia,

I am soooo sorry to hear about this sad news. You are right, it doesn;t matter how long you expect it, it is still always a surprise. I wish you a safe trip and lots of love to all your fmaily members.

If I may add, I am excited that you are coming to Texas. Any chance to swing by Houston or could we meet half way? How long are you staying?
Vanessa

Olivia said...

Vee,

There I was, wondering when I could come back to Texas...

I will be there from Thursday 22 for a week, until the 29th. Any other time, and I would have taken a longer holiday.
Not sure how I would get to Houston...! I miss you.

Olivia said...

LOL Halfway, wouldn't that be Centerville?

Leilouta said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you Olivia.

Prerona said...

Dearest Olivia

I am so sorry. All the best for dealing with these hard times, to you and your family. Have a safe trip.

Katja said...

I'm really sorry to hear that, Olivia. My thoughts are with you and your family - safe journey x

pink jellybaby said...

oh :( i'm so sorry xxx

Anonymous said...

oh Liv, I am so sorry. I wish you a safe trip back to Texas.

M thoughs are with you

Michelle

The Moody Minstrel said...

Olivia,

All my thoughts and prayers.

We'll all see you when you get back.

ML said...

Olivia, I'm so sorry to hear about the failing health of your beloved Granny.

Take care and thinking of you and your family

Miss Dallas said...

Thoughts and prayers, Liv.

I'm so sorry.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about it, Olivia, your family are in my prayers. xx

Selba said...

*hugs*

Everything happened for a good reason.

Take care.

MattJ said...

Sorry to hear of your loss 'Liv, am a little late with my condolences so apologies for that too.

Matt.

Beenzzz said...

Olivia,
I am so sorry about your granny. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Anonymous said...

First time I have visited your blog. I found a link from Leilouta blog.
Your entry is truly touching. Through your words I have this overwhelming sense of the true greatness of this woman, your grandmother, her accomplishments and her spirit. My prayers are with you and your family to get through this hard time. I was with my grandmother when she passed away several years ago. She really will live on, and one day you will be reunited. But for now and for a while it will be difficult.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry about your grandmother. I hope everything turns out okay at the funeral and in Dallas. I wish you here under better circumstances. I wish I could see you...

take care...
Memoria

Um Naief said...

my dear,

i am just now reading this and i feel that i keep coming in on the tail end of sad news...

you know, they have a saying here in this part of the world... i've never liked it but here i am using it... because when you say that one new life has come into the world and another is leaving... it reminds me of what they say. and it's exactly that... "w/ death comes a new life."

i guess this is how ppl manage death and such so easily here... but i'm not one to handle it so well.

i'm so sorry to hear about this and i hope you are doing well. my thoughts and prayers and w/ you and your family in this difficult time.

take care of yourself... and God speed to you.

Anonymous said...

delete my comment, please!

Memoria