Thursday, March 01, 2007

*Fanfare*

Pass out the chocolate cigars - I am a godmother! (Or in our family, a "nen". It's a Guyanese thing.)

My Canadian cousin Alyssa brought daughter Jada into the world today, weighing nearly 6 pounds, reportedly with long limbs like her Mommy. And it was by C-section because Baby hadn't turned and they delivered her a couple of weeks early so that Lyss wouldn't go into breech labour.

It was Alyssa whose boyfriend Roger (her best ever and the one she was going to marry) passed away tragically and unexpectedly last September aged only 25 of a brain aneurysm, and I wrote a very distraught post about it. His family is standing by 100% and treats Lyss just like a daughter in law. This is going to be one very loved baby - all the families involved are over the moon.

Lyss was one of those mums-to-be who chose not to find out the gender of the baby, having the inhuman ability to wait 9 months to find out. Most of us wanted it to be a girl, even Lyss's brothers Mike and Paul. At least now I am totally prepared, thanks to my own godmother Elizabeth, who is also my cousin.

I am going to give her one or two Beatrix Potter books every year, like my Nen did. She contributed greatly to my early library and love of books and reading, as well as to my love of handmade boxes (though that is not exactly something I plan to pass on!)

Here's to years of Winnie the Pooh, Beatrix Potter, Dr Seuss...suppose I should have brushed up on the new stuff too. Any suggestions?

Needless to say, I will be taking my place at the Christening.

Can't wait to see pics!

**********

17 comments:

Beenzzz said...

How exciting! Congratulations on becoming a nen! That is so tragic what happened to Alyssa's boyfriend and Alyssa too. I'm glad his family treats her well. Beatrix Potter is wonderful for the baby's book collection!

Anonymous said...

The Mr Men books are excellent bed time reading - fairly short but all with a life lesson or moral that is fairly easy for a little'un to pick up. You can get a box set of 46 for £90 or so. The best thing about god children is that you get the fun and joy of spending time together but you get to hand junior back at the end of the day!!!

Um Naief said...

This is absolutely wonderful news! So many congrats to the mom!! I'm glad that she has this baby and will always remember what used to be.

Go to amazon and look up baby books...they have TONS of great ones!! You could search for hours and still not go thru all of them.

Again, many congrats to you and to Alyssa!

MattJ said...

Mr Men FTW!!!!!

Also where is Roald Dahl in that list?! It' pretty much all I readas a child!

Prerona said...

congrats!

The Moody Minstrel said...

Congratulations, and I hope this will help bring a bit more closure to both families.

What about Richard Scarry??!? His books were a mainstay in my library when I was growing up, and I taught myself to read at age 4 using his ABC Picture Dictionary!

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Hello little Jada, welcome to the world, lots of good wishes for you from Guyana.

Olivia, you'll be one great nen. I remember reading about Roger, it was so sad. I hope Alyssia is fine.

Olivia said...

Beenzzz - thanks :)
It's amazing, his family have even set up a Baby Fund account for her to use at her discretion!

***

Anony - that will be interesting, as Mr Men aren't available in Canada, so good idea there.

But...what happened to your need for twin boys???

***

Tooners - Welcome back Naief's mom ;)

Oh my, amazon? search for hours? what have you done to me?

***

Matt - (what's FTW?)
Roald Dahl, see, you are thinking a few too many years ahead...

***

Prerona - thanks :)

***

Minstrel - I hear even the neighbourhood is excited!
I have never heard of Mr Scarry. Google here we come.

Ummmm, how does a child teach himSELF to read? Someone had to teach you the alphabet first, surely...

***

Guyana Gyal - so sweet of you!
Thank you. Yes, Alyssa did seem pretty resilient when I was over there in Dec/Jan. She's only 23 and has so many years of adulthood ahead of her. She can't afford not to move on, but I did let her talk about him, and she enjoyed remembering.

Olivia said...

Oh look! Dr Seuss is today's birthday on my sidebar.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to all of you!! I am a new godmother/nen as well!! I'm sure you will be a very good one. You are so loving...

:)

Anonymous said...

I forgot to leave my name again! The previous post was written by Memoria.

Olivia said...

Hey Mem - thanks, because I already have an anonymous poster and although I know who you all are, I can get confused!

Whose Nen are you? ;)

Anonymous said...

Wait, you were asked to be Godmother at the baptism you mean? That's huge!!

It's a sad and tragic story, God bless this baby and her mother.

Nabeel said...

hmm @ godmother .. congratulations .. now what are the responsibilities that come with it? Do you just help towards the child's upbringing or be an important part of his life?

Olivia said...

Rebecca - actually, I was asked as soon as she found out she was pregnant :)

***

Nabeel - being a godparent used to mean that you were in charge of the child's religious education. A long time ago, it also meant that if your parents died, godparents might adopt you or become guardians.

My second godmother gave me a special white leather bible with silver-edged pages when I turned 12, which is when the Anglican and Catholic churches, a child gets confirmed in the faith.

Nowadays, though, it just means you have a hand in various things, from starting a trust fund, to buying books and helping with education, to being like a mentor or advisor...

ML said...

Congratulations! This is such a happy and wonderful occasion for you!

Enjoy being a Nen. You'll be a fantastic one!

Anonymous said...

No no, I didn't mean did she ask you AT the Baptism, that would be late, I meant she asked you to act as GOdmother at the Baptism. As in second guardian.