Monday, June 13, 2005

Le Conseguenze dell'Amore

Yesterday afternoon was delightful. I went to see an arty film, not delightful in itself; I refer rather to the company ;-)

If you have access to an independent cinema, then I highly recommend The Consequences of Love. (Of Cannes 2004 pedigree.) Like most things Italian, it is very highly crafted. Impeccable cinematography, smooth edgy music. I admit, there were a few unexplained details but no production is perfect. It is essentially about watching and being watched.
The art historian in me appreciated the crisply-handled detail shots and repeated motifs but it was not an atmospheric work so I can't extract more.
It mostly appealed to the psychologist in me. I totally loved the little things that only you as an observer will understand: eye contact, facial expressions or lack thereof, unspoken thoughts behind the eyes, and closeups at critical moments when everything becomes slow, magnified, silent.

There was one funny scene, one startle scene, and quite a lot of tension in between mingled with an intense sense of loss. I give it two thumbs up.

And that's all I will say about this film, no spoilers here for once.

2 comments:

Olivia said...

Hi Piano, congratulations on finishing your exams.
Thank you for your comment.
I totally agree with you about the artist drawing closer to God in a creative moment. Rather than film-makers, I imagine especially the great artists like Leonardo, Michelangelo, or Monet! Or the musicians such as Mozart, Beethoven or Handel, who said after writing Messiah: "I have seen my Lord!"

Anonymous said...

I hope i get to see this artwork. it's not at the angelika yet.
Vanessa