Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Accomplishment

It was highly unusual to get an interview in November. I didn't get the job, though. I've worked with databases (at the picture library) but haven't set them up, while a couple of people ahead of me on the list have.

Eh, it was worth a try.

**********

I was surprised to wake up this morning and not see frost thanks to the cloud cover. By mid-morning however, the sky had cleared, the temperatures dropped and the damp lessened somewhat.

Careful at the end of the week, though.
Snow is threatened, so before you wend your lonely way down the winding road to work, be sure to wrap up warmly.

**********

No yoga tonight. I went, but she had cancelled owing to feeling poorly. The one day when I get there with street clothes and carried my yoga gear to change into there...!
The reason I was in normal clothing was because I went looking for my much-publicised adornments. You will be pleased to hear: Mission accomplished!

Having exhausted every option at the department stores with nothing really standing out, I remembered a dear little shop I'd once visited on Molton Street behind Bond St Station: Butler & Wilson, who design their own quite affordable pieces. B&W is a real mouthwatering feast for the girlie eye, all glitter and sparkle with an oriental flair. One set stood out; it just happened - as is usual with me - to be different and unique.

It's a delicate short chain with an elegant downward curve (I can't stand hangy necklaces), composed of a mix of aurora borealis crystal, milky moonstone, and glass cabochon. With matching earrings. Nice detail is the adjustable chain part ends with a little crystal.

So I have compromised for all of you: pearly/sparkly and choker/pendant. Hehe! It's great because the profile of my dress screams mid-50s, and it just so happens that aurora borealis crystal was invented then. They also echo the mother-of-pearl flower with the a.borealis centre on my evening bag.



Lookie:
















Ready for the grand total? *drumroll*

No hang on. I won't tell you. I want you to guess.

CHALLENGE:

How much do you think the dress, bag, wrap, shoes, and jewellery came up to?


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Total cost - 3 units of money.

How much is a unit? One unit is equal to one third of the total cost.

BAM!

Anonymous said...

I know Butler & Wilson, they have a lovely shop on Fulham Rd as well. Their pieces vary widely so it's hard to say. But I would guess hmm 75 for both earrings and necklace, the dress hmm 100 to 150? Shoes you had already and I think the bag and stole too? Do we count them too? How am I doing so far? Am I completely off? Good choice for all btw. :o)

Anonymous said...

I'm terrible at guessing prices on things, since I'm such a bargain shopper, but I'll guess 100.

The set is so pretty! I love aurora borealis. Makes me miss the jewelry I had to leave behind.

Anonymous said...

Olivia,

v.v. pretty jewellery and I love the outfit too.
I have no idea what you spend - I am just too much out of touch with prices in Europe.

What's the occassion for that shopping spree?

Anonymous said...

Olivia,

v.v. pretty jewellery and I love the outfit too.
I have no idea what you spend - I am just too much out of touch with prices in Europe.

What's the occassion for that shopping spree?

Anonymous said...

sorry about the job.

The matching set is beautiful. I love it.

I guess your grand total was less than $200.

vanessa

The Closet Grandmaster said...

I will be visiting England for one week in December. Will be in the Cotswolds. And I am so not looking forward to it. Leaving sunny Sydney is not my idea of a business trip.

MattJ said...

Trust me, it was a lucky escape, Databases make you lose the will to live. After you've learnt them all you left thinking is 'Booooooooooooooooooooooorreeed!'

MattJ said...

oh pricing. To be honest, I suck at this stuff. Although not being good at estimating the cost of female apprel isn't something I consider a major flaw in a man! lol!

Ok, I'm guesssing you are only asking here because you have picked up an uber bargain, so gonna go 150 for the lot?

Olivia said...

Randis - you smarty-pants!

Rox - flattering to think the dress cost more than it did! Usually B&W would be too heavy for me, but this was one of their more understated pieces. Patsy Vanags would call the whole shop "a confection"!

Merserene & Vanessa - DOLLARS? Are you kidding???

Closet Grandmaster - you picked the wrong time of year, well the wrong year really. Come prepared for snow or ice. It's gonna be the coldest in 40 years, in case you hadn't heard!
.....Imagine if you got to come to a sweltering London in the middle of your winter........

Matt - it was to be a 2-month contract, just at the threshold of wanting to die. The majority of my picture research this summer consisted of d/b entry, but it wasn't my sole duty. Fortunately. I was pulling my hair out and ready to move on at the end of the 3-month internship. It seems Olivia needs variety and a bit of a challenge in her job.

I'll give it another day, see if anyone hits the jackpot.

Anonymous said...

I didn't say anything about dollars! Just don't have a "pound" sign on my keyboard. Last time I checked $100 = 150 pounds, but the dollar is worth less these days. Still, I stand by my guess.

Anonymous said...

ditto, my keyboard doesn't have pounds.

vanessa