1) in the desert
2) really hot
3) an Arab country
4) therefore in the vicinity of terrorist nations
5) really hot
Here is what I remember from the programme:
- At the moment, over 100,000 Britons own second homes in Dubai; this is expected to peak at 1 million in a few years.
- Completion of the entire development project is expected in 2007.
- Half the (native?) population of Dubai is building it.
- Every home in Dubai is bought before it's built, sometimes even before it's approved, so high is demand.
- There will be a total of 3 Palm Islands, made from reclaimed land. There will also be a group of islands modelled after every nation on earth, and suitably "themed". It will resemble the earth from the air...
- There is a giant shopping mall with themed wings: Andalucian, Tunisian, Egyptian, Persian, Indian, Chinese. The Andalucian wing is an exact replica of the Alhambra palace.
- Nobody is left out. Soon there will be a set of neighbourhoods - exact models of Manhattan (down to your favourite pizzeria), Venice (in case the real one finally sinks), Paris (the marketing spokeswoman quipped, "Paris without the French."), and I don't know where else...
Overheard at Number 33 (been ages, hasn't it?)
Or rather, as read in landlady's day planner, which is always left open on a corner of the kitchen counter:
Olivia Private View
174, Old Bond Street
(What have I been up to without my knowledge?)