Ooh! Just turned on the TV and here is something I have often discussed since returning to the UK. Paraphrasing the presenter:
- Americans have such a genuine love of England, so when they come here, why do they get such a frosty reception?
- It has become de rigeur to hate Americans.
- An American walking into a bar in Glasgow vs a Brit walking into a bar in Des Moines.
I've always called the British contempt of America as envy of their success as a nation - and bingo! He said it. Jealousy of their success and national pride.
- Indeed many Americans may be overweight. But America also invented "working out".
- Re: American stupidity: sending a man to the moon and winning the most Nobel Prizes requires some intelligence.
Just after stating that most Americans are stupid, one gentleman claimed he knew more about America than the average Brit. His wife piped up thinking independence was won in the 1750s. He tried to correct her, saying it was earlier.
So, no laughing next time you encounter a Yank wandering around the West End asking for Lysester Square.
I've tried my best to keep politics out of this, and in fact deleted my last two paragraphs. My blog is not a forum, rather an oasis and a refuge from the daily grind. I have made the mistake of discussing politics here once before and ended up gritting my teeth over the responses.
Don't make me grit my teeth