Friday, July 29, 2005

Post-Poetical Vapidness

___
<*,*>
[`-']
-"-"-

This is my little owl, like Athena's

**********

It's been ages since I babbled about the house and it's "guests"...


CLOGS (Japanese Banker)
If you enter the kitchen and every surface including the floor is sopping wet, you know Clogs has been in there. I think he throws water around for fun.

He still lives in the room above, but lately he's been less Cloggy than usual - he no longer threatens to stomp through the ceiling in the mornings. Yippee!

A few weeks ago, his new wife who is a concert pianist, moved over here from Japan; she arrived alone at the front door with two large suitcases.
She stayed a few days in the house before moving to a flatshare with a piano. He saw her off at the gate and she took her bags away alone, just the way she came.
If I were a husband, I would want to carry her bags and see her properly settled in, etc!

UNNAMED
We have a new-ish guest but I have not yet mentioned her. About 10 minutes ago, she went down the stairs and out the front door. I know this because I could smell her go, it's like drowning in lavender and baby powder - through two doors
Should I call her Pong? Whiffy?

**********


Over the past year, I have come to the conclusion that the Brits have forgotten how to make phone calls. This is a text-happy nation and one day we will all have larger thumbs.

Upside: Texts can be answered at your own pace; phone calls are immediate and sometimes untimely. Plus, I don't want to seem pushy.
BUT a welcome conversation makes a better personal connection than a few brief words on a little screen. There is a time for texting and a time for talking.


So, considering the dearth of conversation and the abundance of short texts, has communication evolved or regressed? What are your thoughts?

**********

Sorry, that wasn't quite as vapid as it should have been.
Try this Free Typing Speed Test

**********
Distinctly non-vapid stuff about God and the Universe which I think is a bit of a masterpiece even if I don't necessarily agree: JP thinks he's not making sense
**********

A bit more like it: Not long from now, I will match Steliano's post about his room

**********

25 comments:

michelle said...

I know lets call her smelly!

michelle said...

or powderlav!

michelle said...

you know if I had a room, I too would match SLO

michelle said...

I am still high on Benadryll...those allergies meds pack a strong punch

Olivia said...

Hey! I know I was about to say you're spamming me, but I don't mind coz you're my friend!

Olivia said...

Smelly isn't nice enough. Powderlav is too long for someone I don't know well.

michelle said...

LP

or

PL?

Olivia said...

Steli, that's hilarious! I've never thought of myself as a husband before!

How fast do you type with your glasses???

Olivia said...

It's OK I tried the paragraph 5 or 6 times and my WPM decreased.

Olivia said...

Maybe. I'm wrangling over verbs on your site now...

Olivia said...

So what are your thoughts on conversation or texting?

Is it common in France?

Ali said...

Texting is a good way of avoiding personal contact via cell phones. I hate talking to people via the phone, much the reason I text to spare myself hte time. I set an appointment via txt then meet them in reality. Reality sure beats any voice convo.

Anonymous said...

Cute owl, I was never any hand for ASCII.

You could just call her Inconvenient. But that's too long, make it InCon. As in, Big Brother is watching you.

Text seems like a flavorless, textureless sort of communication. Talking to an inanimate object balanced by having to interpret what finally displays in the tiny number of characters allowed to one based on the other persons' habits and style of writing.

Oh, I found you. Time start my reign of intimidation and abuse as the blog thug.

Olivia said...

Shah Jahan - maybe that's it - texting is lazy.

Olivia said...

Everyone run and hide, Randis is here! You should see the havoc he wreaks over in Motime.

Anyway Randis - welcome...sort of...
*as I quiver in my boots*

Anonymous said...

Havoc? Wow, now I sort of feel bad.

Olivia said...

Randis -
You were supposed to feel bad about making me quiver in my boots. Or maybe not, if you're a thug!

Anonymous said...

Hey Everyone,
My name is Jason and I'm Olivia's and Vanessa's friend from college (in Houston). Livy, Sorry it has taken me so long to get registered to comment. I've been reading your dispatches, though, I promise. It looks like you have a good group of friends online. I like Steliano's and Jia Li's pictures. I've checked out their blogs, and Rebecca's too. I look forward to reading more. See you later!

Olivia said...

Woohooo! Welcome Jason! We've been waiting for you, but you knew that. I love the way you introduce yourself.

Anonymous said...

Welcome Jason!!! Glad you could join us. registered? That's one step up from me. As you can see I am still anonymous. Now all you need is a nice picture to go along.
Vanessa

Anonymous said...

I suck at typing. I scored 39 and that's with my glasses.
Vanessa

Olivia said...

Yeah, Vanessa, why are you still Anonymous?
Don't worry about the typing. You're not a secretary...however, I can't even get a typing job at the moment!

Anonymous said...

Anonymous! whay not? when I tried to register it required that I start a blog. have the rules changed?
Besides it's easier this way. I don't need to type username and passsword everytime.....just click on anonymous.
vanessa

Olivia said...

Vanessa, there you are, always the Queen of Necessary!

Anonymous said...

wouldn't have any other way.
V.