Monday, July 25, 2005

Your Photos are Ready!

I've finally uploaded all my pictures from Glasgow, York, and a day out at the V&A and in Richmond-upon-Thames.

Unfortunately, I didn't take any of them as I forgot my film camera but I think my Dad did a good job with his digital. The York pics are from my mother's digital camera, and I did take many of those.

Glasgow is Scotland's principal town on the western side. Though it's only 45 minutes by train from Edinburgh, the Scottish capital, the accents are completely different. Glaswegians are nearly unintelligible; Edinburghians have a gentler accent. Glasgow has been a respected seat of learning since 1451; nevertheless, it joined the industrial revolution in the 18th and 19th centuries, only undergoing gentrification within the past generation. Today it is a very tidy city.

York is a couple of hours south of Scotland in the county of Yorkshire. Over a thousand years ago, the Vikings who lived there called it Yorvik. Unlike many of the industrial or mining northern towns, York is home to England's second largest Cathedral and therefore has retained its charming medieval atmosphere. They say, becoming the Bishop of York is only one step down from making it to Archbishop of Canterbury (Head of the Church of England and by extension the worldwide Anglican communion).

I've already blogged about these places, that was just a review.

If you've read any of my blogs, you know a bit about the V&A (Victoria & Albert) Museum, founded by Her Majesty from a conglomeration of different collections and institutions. The place is a veritable labyrinth of treasures.

Richmond-upon-Thames is in the desirable county of Surrey while still being an outer borough of London. When I was born, we lived not too far from there, though a little deeper into Surrey, in another nice town called Kingston-upon-Thames. The spirits of Henry VIII and his daughter Elizabeth I hang strongly about this area because Hampton Court Palace is nearby and Richmond used to be the site of an eponymous Palace. Henry often travelled on the Thames in a splendid barge.

And now, to see the pictures, click here.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm appauled! You graduated from the place and you don't know the founding date of the Uni is 1451? :) I suspect they'll want that certificate back shortly ;)

Glad you had sun on your graduation day - forgive my ignorance, but that did you graduate in?

-- Anonintj

Olivia said...

Sorry. I did know! I typed it wrong, and thought, 1491 doesn't look right, too close to the date that Columbus sailed the ocean blue. But my brain didn't help me. :(

michelle said...

I am so Proud, left messag on ur flick, sorru typing with left hand. my right no good, I pull muscle, ca noy use

Olivia said...

Jia Li, thank you for the Flickr comments. I will go read them now. Careful with your hand.

michelle said...

ah, thx

michelle said...

i don't feel like msn 2nitr

The Closet Grandmaster said...

yeah, but you graduated in what hon?

Anonymous said...

Oh, Olivia. These pictures are sensational...hehe...I don't use that word very often.

btw, walking dictionary, what excatly is a eponymous palace?

Vanessa

Olivia said...

Welcome Closet Grandmaster. To you and INTJ, you newcomers ;) - I graduated with an MPhil in the History of Art & Connoisseurship.

Vanessa -
Eponymous means of the same name. Richmond was home to Richmond Palace. 'Tis a Greek-based word. I miss being your daily source of info, but I recommend www.m-w.com (merriam-webster dictionary & thesaurus) and www.wikipedia.com (amazing collaborative encyclopedia).

Olivia said...

Cher Steli, thank you for visiting my blog and my pictures in the middle of all your work. You HAD to mention the apple juice??? Bonne chance et a bientot +)

Olivia said...

Steli -
The only other choice that day was orange. In Scotland, but no alcohol.

You know how natural apple juice is cloudy and tastes so good? Well I had one the other day at an Indian restaurant: apple with a touch of lime. It was delicious, refreshing, slightly tart. Perfect for the spicy food.

Olivia said...

I didn't want 13 comments so now it's 14...

Anonymous said...

yum, I like anything lemony.
Thanks for the website.
All best on your work, Steliano.
vanessa

Olivia said...

Hey Vanessa, glad you liked the website.

Talking Mute - thanks. Art history to be precise - I'd get to work with art and antiques, whether with an auction house, gallery, museum, dealer, even publishing, picture research, design...That is, if I *get* a job...